Tuesday, June 3, 2008

my Trip to Colorado is coming to and end

this is Jon Boy at the Great Sand Dunes - camping

Hello Crew,

My time in Colorado is nearing an end.  I will continue to train this week and I will train with the local racing group on Saturday and Sunday. I have been riding some in the Garden of the Gods with Deb and I have been riding up the 38th most challenging climb in Colorado - Cheyenne Canyon to Gold Camp Road. I have felt very good about my training here at 6,500 feet above sea level, but I haven't gotten to train as much as I had hoped.

First of all, we all got a bad head and chest cold and that, combined with a visit from my Son, Jon Boy, I was unable to ride my bike for eight days!!!  We did, however, get to go camping down at the Great Sand Dunes that that time with my Son was simply magical. He and I needed this time to be together. 
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) 

Jonathon and I as well as Debra's kids were able to drive up Pikes Peak last week to an elevation of 14,121 feet  - We all got very dizzy. It was wonderful, and we saw a lot of snow, and terrible wind, intense sunshine and 19 degrees F!!!  It was great.  

My regular canyon ride leaves Debbie's house (6,500 feet) and directly proceeds around the north side of Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD CENTER) and up into an incredible canyon. I have to ride 2.5 miles to get the mouth of the canyon, then I climb three miles up a terribly steep road along a mountain stream, and a round massive granite spires and rock walls. The elevation at the top of 7,900 feet.  I have not trained below 6,500 feet in the last 2 and a half weeks, and I am hoping that factor will outweigh the sickness that I had.

Seven Falls | Home
Garden Of The Gods | Home
Pikes Peak America's Mountain-General Information 

I will be home this coming Tuesday and I hope to attend the group ride that night. In the mean time, here is some news!!!

AARON DENNEY UPGRADES TO CAT 4!!!!  A great big congratulations for Aaron.

There are some races in our area for the weekend.... Please check my blog racing schedule for those.

RACE THIS WEEKEND:   settlerslifeomnium


There are many more races to come, so stay tuned.   All of this is culminating for the State Championships in September....  Tour de London, Kentucky State Road Race & Criterium Championships: London, KY

Bluegrass State Games:   Bluegrass State Games - Home


There team and club rides every Tuesday and Thursday nights at Barnsburg Baptist Church!

I miss everybody, and I very much look forward to getting back into a training grove with our crew




No comments: