Wednesday, December 12, 2007

From Colorado Springs

Hello Crew! 


FEATURED SPONSOR
Lifescan Imaging 


HOLIDAY GREETINGS FROM COLORADO!!!!  My first week in Colorado Springs has been just wonderful. Deb and her kids and I went out last Saturday in Pikes Peak National Forest and harvested a Christmas Tree and it was snowing but good!  What a wonderful Christmas event for me. Not only has it been many years since I had a white Christmas, but I have never been in the December Colorado High Country, Christmas Tree Hunting!  Simply wonderful time.

In so far as the town life this past week, Colo Springs has been buried under a blanket of snow and what I find very strange, they DO NOT SALT THE ROADS HERE!  So I have been learning to drive on ice and snow covered roads.  And these people come and go as if it were nothing...  It is very unnerving.

Due to the snow and ice, I have not been on the road on my bike in over a week.  I have been on Deb's trainer but precious little. As I understand it, the Somerset area has been having record highs!!!  A total contrast to my recent environs. I hope everyone there is getting in some quality miles!  Because I am not!  It worries me a little, but not all that bad.

UNIFORM UPDATE
The 2008 team uniforms were ordered today. If you did not pre-order a uniform, don't worry. Cumberland Cycles will carry some on the racks and we can also make other orders. The final proof is attached if you missed it last time.

2008 TEAM/CLUB PHOTOGRAPH
Once we are in receipt of our 2008 Uniforms, we will be calling for an "all hands" team and club photograph. We will do this sometime in the later two weeks of January or early February. We want to have anybody and everybody show up and be a part of the Cumberland Cycles Class of 2008 area cycling club photograph.  If you did not pre-order a 2008 Uniform, please show up with our former jersey. The more folks we have show up, the better. Please make it a point to come out and get into the photo. The more the better. We will announce the date and time later on.

TRAINING
The Total Rehab Spin-a-thon will continue this Thursday night at Total Rehab.   The Total Rehab Center.   We will meet at 8:30 PM and train for one hour. The team has provided an extra trainer for anybody who would like to show up and train, but doesn't have a trainer.  Please bring your bike, a towel and your water bottles.

I think some of the Mt. Bikers have been going down to Bandy Creek every Saturday. They are planning to go again this Saturday. Please contact Marc, at the shop for more details.

Since I am not in town, I do not know what is going on for Saturday and Sunday, but please call around for more information as I am sure there will be rides. 

WAXING POETICAL
I am well here in Colorado. I miss everybody - my training routes and my Pal's.  But I am well - waking up each morning to my loved one and her two wonderful kids. It is truly a winter wonderland here, and when we open the house in the morning, in the smell of brewing coffee, the Rocky Mountains are ablaze out the front window.  Deb's house is at over 6,000 feet in elevation and we have been hiking some as well. Those adventures are at or above 9,500 feet so my body is being trained even though I am not riding much. When I get on the trainer in Deb's basement, I am doing so at an elevation of over 6,000 feet!

I have had some time to reflect on our first year together as a club and team. I am so happy about what we've been able to accomplish. Both from our racers as well as our club riders, multi-sport athletes and organizationally to  Charles Senters, Brad Herrman and Jack Evans have been very effective in getting our club and team organized.  Marc Travis has been an invaluable title sponsor - putting together our uniform for 2008, getting the club sanctioned with USA Cycling and a great many other things.

We have a CAT V racer who is ranked #1 in the Nation, and we have several other riders ranked #1 in the State of Kentucky. We won silver and gold metals in the 07 Kentucky State Cycling Championships, and we have a masters 50+ individual racing with and beating folks who placed in the World championships and we have held our ground against several national champions and former Olympic Medallists.

And this doesn't even include the great works of our multisport's who also had great success in 2007.

I am so proud of what we are doing in Somerset.

Happy Holidays everybody!!!!!!

No comments: