Friday, February 25, 2011

I Ride For The Cumberland Cycles Club and Shop

Hey All,

When I first started riding bicycles again, Labor Day,2006, my Father sent up one of my old racing bicycles – a Guerciotti (http://www.guerciotti.it/) that he had imported from Italy in 1983 through Ten-Speed-Drive. The bike had been restored back to its exact original build – all Campagnolo, Chenelli – Columbus XLS Steel tubing… That bike was the bomb! It had an old freewheel style rear drive train device, and a straight block at that (gears 12-19).

I rode the Guerciotti all that fall and winter, 2006 and 2007, racking up many miles on my favorite bicycle (over three thousand). After a 17 year period of time not riding a bicycle at all, I was happy with my Guerciotti. After all, it was what I was riding when I quit in 1989, and it seemed natural to me, even with a Block Free Wheel. I had no idea how far cycling technology had advanced.

As the racing season of 2007 approached, under the good advice of Marc Travis, Cumberland Cycles and my father, everyone advised that I acquire a new, modern bicycle. My father wanted me to ride a 2007 mixed-material Bianchi, and he wanted me to race for The Gran Fondo Team located in Nashville. On the other hand, Marc Travis was showing me some really nice Fuji and Trek bicycles, and he and I wanted to form a shop racing team in our hometown of Somerset.

SINCE I LIVE IN SOMERSET, developing a cycling club and team here appealed to me. After all, I had already raced for at least three Nashville area teams in the past, and I didn’t want to go back to that. I made a decision in January, 2007 to make my purchase from THE BIKE SHOP THAT WOULD SUPPORT ME BEST – the shop in my own town.

I made this decision un-lightly. The Bianchi was promised to me free of charge, so long as I raced for a team in another state. I decided to buy a Fuji Team from Cumberland Cycles, and race for my local shop and riding pals, believing this would be the best thing to do. So instead of getting a bike for free and racing for a team that wasn’t even in my state, much less, my own community, I decided to shell out the Big Money, and purchase the opportunity to build a team and club in Somerset.

That decision has been rewarded over and over and over a million times.

The Fuji that I bought from Cumberland Cycles is now “toast”. Our maiden voyage together was on February 27, 2007. 23,442 miles later, my last ride on this bike was February 16, 2011. I rode this bike in probably more than 100 races. I rode this bike in the Masters National Championships Individual Time Trial (25 miles in 58 minutes) as well as the National Road Race Championships (2008). I rode this bike to win the Tennessee Individual Time Trial Championships, and I won at least a six podium finishes in other races.

It is hard to let go of bicycles after such a long, and blissfully challenging history. Just like the Geurc.

But when I took my Fuji down to Cumberland Cycles to prepare it (her) for this years racing season (complete rebuild) Marc, Mike and Brad (Our Shop) discovered that there was a crack in the seat post; the frameset was no longer viable for racing. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT IS A TESTIMENT TO SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL VENDERS AND THE LINES THEY CARRY.

Marc Travis, the owner of our shop, Cumberland Cycles, began to talk to his Fuji representative about a replacement frame-set for me. Because of his long standing relationship with Fiji Bicycles, and his dedication as a bike shop owner, Marc was able to secure a REPLACEMENT FRAME-SET for me at no cost!!!

BROTHERS AND SISTERS –LOOKING TO OTHER BIKE SHOPS OR ONLINE PURCHASES - - listen to me please, like you have never listened.

I have made only one $43 purchase outside of our own shop (a uniform which promptly fell apart). All of my needs, even though they may be a few dollars more expensive at Cumberland Cycles (but not always), I support my bike shop.

WHY DO I SUPPORT MY BIKE SHOP? Before today, it had always been to support area cycling. We can not possibly do what we do here in Somerset without a vibrant and healthy bike shop. I have always believed, in fact, I know it for certain, the dollars I spend at Cumberland Cycles goes directly into the infrastructure of our club and our team. Perhaps not dollars, but in support and social cohesiveness.

We all ride in our own ways…. You may not race; I do. You may like mountain biking. I like it, but not enough to buy a bike. You may want to ride ten miles this Sunday, while others may want to ride 100. Yet we are all brothers and sisters; members of the same club and team!!!!! Evidence: The Awareness Ride last fall, conceived and executed all within a ten day period. That, my friends is a cycling community. WE ALL HAVE A TOUCH STONE. It is our club, and our bike shop.

My decision to ride for our local shop and club, and buy all of my gear from a hometown vender was correct. The fact that I am getting a replacement bicycle from Fuji is just confirmation that I made the right decision. I could have accepted a free bike from an out-of-state shop, but I would probably no longer be riding.

CUMBERLAND CYCLES MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET YOU THE BEST DEALS on all of your gear when it comes to the “bottom line” in dollars. But the value you get from being a loyal customer of this bicycle shop is tremendous. Marc, Brad and Mike will demand that the lines they carry will in turn, take care of you over the years.

The Value of your purchase with Cumberland Cycles does not stop when the cash draw closes. It follows you everywhere you ride your bicycle. You will see it in the smiles and laughter of your fellow cyclists. You will find it in the knowledge of Mike and Brad and Marc….. Their eagerness to keep you on the road, cycling. You must know, you will not get that kind of service from a bike shop in Lexington, or Knoxville. And you know you will not get it from an online purchase.

IT IS PEOPLE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT…. Mikey, Brad and Marc don’t make a dime off how much we ride. Yet, they concern themselves so much about keeping us rolling! Why? Simple. They love cycling.

The Bike Shop does not pay me to write all of this… My compensation comes from seeing so many men, women and children enjoying bicycling in our area.

OUR TOUCH STONE IS OUR BIKE SHOP. In the end, it is my firm belief, if you want a total bargain, buy everything you need from Our Shop (in some cases, minimally more expensive). The extra few dollars you might save buying from another shop, or online does not support me, or Jack, or Jeff, Aaron, Glenn, Kevin, Ricky or any of the many dozens of riders we have in our community. If you need to save money, and I know we all need to do that, try it at the car lot where you can negotiate down thousands of dollars (knowing they will not support you when you are driving your car). Don’t look to save less than a hundred or two on a local vender whose viability is so necessary to the wellbeing of your own pastime.

If you think Cumberland Cycles is making a profit on us, for Goodness Sakes, I hope he is!!!!! It is a “for profit” business. As you are thinking about those few dollars they may make, bare in mind, Our Shop goes well beyond the “norm” in supporting us as cyclists….. after purchase.

I HAVE BLOOD, MUCH SWEAT AND MANY TEARS IN THIS CLUB AND TEAM. While I am not a stock holder in the financials of Cumberland Cycles as a business, but you better believe, I am a stock holder in the fundamental strength of our cycling club. This club and team and My Son are my fundamental concerns.

We can not do what we do without Cumberland Cycles; Marc, the owner, and then Brad and Mike – loyal shop employees.

Over the years, I have written many messages regarding our loyalty to our bike shop. You all know how I feel about this… Yet I fear I have not well made my point…. The After Sale Value of purchases from our Shop are to numerous to sum.

No comments: