Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Friends -

Having raced the last seven consecutive weekends - logging 11,000 miles on the bike in the past 18 months, it occurs to me at times in my life, I can be too focused. 

I love to fish for trout.... I love to go back packing.  I love to hunt gensing and look for wild flowers and I love to float small creeks in small boats with good friends.

Deep in the midst of this spring racing season, I took this Sunday to spend time with my friend, Harvey, floating down Pitman Creek in a canoe. I did not turn a bicycle crank today, and I was proud of myself for it. It was a cold, blustery day, but many wild flowers were blooming in the woods - the creek was charged with the rains of the recent storms.  With my good friend right there in front of me - both of us in a narrow boat, we navigated the many rocks and logs and fast water of the stream... The day, not ideal for a river outing by any means; our hands cold in the gentle rain and mild wind - some would have considered it down right miserable... But my friend and I floated our boat under an overhanging rock and we ate pretzelized goldfish - a snack Harvey's wife tossed to him just as he was leaving for his adventure with me. Even though I was physically cold, I was warm inside - glowing in the company of my good friend - glowing in the mists of the woods and wildflowers of my homeland - aboard a small boat on a small stream...

In these days of racing and training, it is not often I get to "mingle with the twinkling stars" - slow Sundays on a creek with a good friend and a bag of "gold fish" in a fine boat on an excellent stream, don't come cheap.  I had no idea what my team mates were doing.. But I needed time to shake hands with the basics... just like all of us... As a community.  We all have so much upon us....

Mark, Marc, Jeff, Harvey, Jack and so many others have businesses to run.... Chuck and Melenda are having a baby soon. Brad, and Adam with their new jobs - and me - worried sick about my son and where the heck he is going to spend his summer..... Kerry and his family who have just lost their father.

The cycling club I envision is not the one that is totally cycling performance based... but a community of people who are rising to meet their individual challenges... and then finding time to rideor race bicycles. I personally don't care if you ever race or win or even turn a crank.... our common ground is that we like to ride bicycles and we are human beings. We need to support each other no matter what our cycling goals are - not matter what our situations.

Harvey sat in the boat in front of me today - in the cold rain on a small boat, on a small stream that was cranking lots of fast water. He sat up there all day in his funny hat and his poncho that made his look like batman. Harvey is one of the most gifted cyclists I know, yet he does not chose to race. Harvey is my friend and I value him even though he has never won the tour de France.  

Racing bikes in 1 part in 99 - in terms of the "human experience" for me. Cycling is simply a physical outlet... It is the experience that I am interested in.... Wildflowers... woods - caves, rocks and streams... but mostly - Mostly Friends......

No comments: