Saturday, February 2, 2008

Enter Racing Season - A Manifest

 http://www.cumberlandcycles.com/index.html
Hello  Crew,

Our training, raceless period has now ended and we have closed our team training points series. This series began back in October and since that time, Mr. Charles Senters has accumulated 112 points and he wins our team training points series!  Be sure to congratulate Charles.  What is just perfect to me is how strong Charles (Chuck) has gotten over the last few weeks. Chuck has worked hard, and it just makes since that he'd win our training points race.

Jack Evans and JT tied for second place, just one point behind Chuck. We had a total of  28 cyclists who scored at least a point, we held 32 payable events and had a total of 162 individual starts.  Over the course of these past few months, during this points pursuit, our riders collectively logged over 15,000 miles! 

2008 RACING POINTS IS NOW OPEN - EVERYONE IS SET TO ZERO
If you race or show up to training rides, the club and team will pay points in a club and team points run.... The run will end in October, 2008 and the points winner will have their name placed on the team and clubs 2009 Uniform.

IN SO FAR AS I AM CONCERNED
Charles, Brad and Jack are our club officers. Our gracious sponsors are certainly stakeholders in our club and team.  So what is my function here?  I am not a club officer, nor did I "put in" for such a job. I am not a sponsor. I think my official title is "Team Captain", which means, when I am not asking potential sponsors for some money, I am trying to get our officers to spend what money we already have! 

I love to race bicycles. I started riding  bikes many years ago, and I spent nearly a year sport and club riding before I started racing. That was a fine time, but due to my completive nature, cycling became a means to compete.  This is not how everybody's view on cycling, and I understand that very well. Riding bicycles is simply a magical thing to do... (and for me, racing, divine).  I know that most (if not all) of my "broadcasts" have been "racing" oriented. This is because that is my ultimate passion.  But my basic passion is cycling in any form.

We have a very fine community of bike riders here in our area. Some of us like to race, but most of us like to get out on the road and relax. Our club will soon begin to re-focus on the more relaxing nature of our sport.

But if you will allow me another moment, I want all of us to be clear on something that has been on my mind. As your team captain, I have but a single directive for our racers and riders in 2008... Have fun - be enriched and don't worry about satisfying our team and club.... Reach for personal satisfaction.  As a team, we are going to be present in most races in our region of the country this year. In some of these races, we may do very well and in others, not so well. No rider is getting paid to race or ride for our team or club... You come to us, You buy most of your own team and club uniform, train and show up to races and rides not because you're getting paid to do so, but because you want to better yourself and you want to support other people in our community who also want to better themselves.  This is also what every one of our club sponsors bought in to.

As your team captain, moving into our second year of racing and riding, I have but one request from all of our riders.... Race or ride your hearts out... and when you've done that, at the end of the year, be sure you can look back, and be happy about where you went, what you did and who you enriched. Because in the end, it is not about the bike (as Lance first said it) but about all of us - our community of cycling athletes; it is about "us" as people. 

I draw a great deal of my own success from your success. Tell me what I can do for you.
 
(Be sure to thank all of our sponsors!)

Club and Team Photo
At the Bike Shop - February 9, at 4 PM. Please, please come join us.. consider it a "kick off" for our 2008 cycling season.

Barnsburg Time Trial - Event #1
The first Barnsburg Event for 2008 will be held on Sunday, February 10, at 2 PM.  More details later.

This event is open to anybody who would like to post a time.

No comments: