Sunday, June 10, 2007

Cumberland Cycles First Battle Wound

www.cumberlandcycles.com

(Guest Entry from Aaron Denney)

Family, Friends, and Clients:

Before the word gets around that I was in a bicycle wreck yesterday, I
want to give you the details first hand.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in a some what of a scary accident during the
last three laps of a criterium race in Stanton, KY. According to
witnesses, the accident occurred when one or two riders went down 1-2
seconds ahead of me. I did not have a chance to avoid them and instead
ended up hitting the wreck at 23 MPH (based on last entries in my bike
computer), going airborne off the bike, and landing on the pavement.
They say that I was out for 10-15 seconds dead still before I came to.
The only pain I had when I came to was my finger was bleeding under the
fingernail but nothing else was hurting. I was checked out at the scene
by EMS personnel and was declared OK, but they advised Jenny to get me
checked out if I became sick. The wreck was bad enough that it cracked
my helmet and broke the plastic adjustment strap on the back. As of this
morning, I have not developed even a sore spot on my head nor swelling
of any type. I can remember everything up to the point of impact even
what was going on during the lap. My only issues right now are a sore
left knee, sore left foot, sore right thigh, and a small case of road
rash on both shoulders. The wreck is only an example of why it is so
important for people to wear their helmets.

It is a fact that crashes are a part of bicycle racing. It is not a
matter of if they occur, it is when they occur. This is a risk that I
have accepted and know it will occur at some point and time as it did
yesterday. I just have to do everything I can to make sure I am safe as
I possibly can be. This accident will not stop me from riding as I have
plans to get back on the bike as early as this afternoon or tomorrow
depending on how I feel. Cycling has changed my life as most have seen
in my 60+ pound weight loss. There is no way I can give it up nor the
racing.

I want to thank my coach Robert Brooks for preparing Jenny. He told her
it would be worse for her than it would be for me as she would witness
it and in fact it was. She handled the situation fairly well considering
the circumstances..

Again, I am sore, but OK. I am just looking forward to next weekend's
race which kicks off  three months of hard racing for me.

Pictures:
http://blogs.accessextreme.com/aaron/extra/2007_06_09

--
Best regards,

Aaron Denney, CNE/CCNA/Network+
Access Extreme
http://www.accessextreme.com/

No comments: