Thursday, March 1, 2007

Cumberland Cycles News - March 1

Hello Cumberland Cycles Crew!

Let me begin this on a personal note-
 
Back in the 1980s My Dad and I (and several dear friends) raced intensively for a few years and we had a great time and great successes.  Both of us won several races at that time.  But after I graduated from college and got married and had kids- there wasn't any time for training or racing - and my job as a geologist was completely time consuming.  After 18 years away from the bike and racing- my conditions changed and allowed me to train and race again -
 
Beginning last Labor Day - I decided to get back on the bike!  After a week or two by myself - i mustered the courage to ride with Harvey S in the middle of September and he promptly kicked my butt!  I also went on some Barnsburg Rides with the crew and - struggle as i did - i was completely unable to stay with the group on any kind of grade at all!  After a month or so - i began to do better and was able to keep up!  As the weeks have gone by  - I have kept my miles up and - as always - my body has not let me down!  God gave us all a remarkable machine and it responds so incredibly well to training!

Now - six months later - I am ready to start racing again!  I don't know how I will do- but at least I will give it a try;  I am a little intimidated but that is normal - I am ready to begin this adventure and it starts in less than 48 hours!  I am nowhere near as a strong as I hope to be - but then how could i be after only six months?  I have a lot of work to do and I and looking forward to it with my new team!  My hometown team -
 
I want to thank the "Crew" - everybody who rode with me over these six months - thanks for dropping me so many times - thanks for attacking me when i needed it and thanks for being there to nurse me back into cycling!  And thanks for letting me use a spare tube or two!  I want to thank Marc Travis and Cumberland Cycles as well- Marc has been a good friend and a tremendous supporter -

We have some very strong riders in the area and I am so excited about our team!!!  We are a spangled group - various racing categories and age divisions but we are cohesive and we seem to know each others strengths and weakness.  Our Cat V crew consists of Adam Bourne - Jack Evans - Harvey S - Roger Whitlock and Brad Herman.  We are also excited about the prospect of having several other riders join us later in the year:  Kerry Fain - Aaron Denny - Tim Howard - Charles Senters - Jeff Parmelee - Jeff C - Jeff Colyier - Mark Henry - DR - Dave Stewart and Rick Rice and others!  Some of these fellows are busy running and training for tris but we are still hoping to convert them!

There have been many rides and even a meeting since my last general club news!  Several members of The Cumberland Cycling Crew met at the Doolin House in Somerset last week to listen to a presentation about Hammer Products given by Brad Herman!  It was a very nice time and we had a great turn out!  Thanks to everybody who showed up!   

The weather is warming up and we've had some nice rides!  Folks seem generally excited about cycling these days and that is really great to see!  We have several CAT V racers who are ready to begin racing and I do believe our Vs will be able to win a race or two this spring!!!   

The Kentucky/Indiana Spring Training Series begins on Saturday March 3 in Louisville. The forecast for the Louisville on Saturday is not all that good but Adam JT and Brad will be going up for Race #1 in the KY/IN Spring Series!  There are many races this year and they can be found here:  
Cumberland Cycles Races
   We have a race pretty much every weekend from now until September! 

For those of you who are not race-ready- don't worry. You still have plenty of time to get into shape even if you have not ridden a single mile this year.  Just let up know how we can support you to get you ready to race again or race for the first time.  We can help you get your equipment in order and we can help you construct a basic training schedule to get you going and moving in a positive direction!  We have a certified cycling coach as near as London who would be happy to work with you at a personal level.

For those of you who are not interested in racing - stay tuned as we will begin to publish non-competitive rides soon!  The time change will occur this year on March 11 so we will begin to see much more daylight!

GROUP RIDES
every Wednesday at 230 PM from the Vision Center
Sat March 3- Club Ride/ 12 PM at the Vision Center
Sat March 3 - Race #1 KYIN Spring Series
Sun - March 4 - Club Ride/130 PM from the Vision Center - Moderate to Hard

BARNSBURG:  weekday rides will continue very soon

There will be a beginer/intermediate Mountain Bike Ride held at Laurel Lake on March 10 by Dave Grigsby with the London Bike Shop: 
Kentucky Mountain Bike Association

At least one area rider will be participating in a Century on March 24:  Here is the link:
Anniston: City News 

AS ALWAYS
Please support our bike shop and our team!  Cumberland Cycles and Skates  
Cumberland Cycles Races

TRAINING

Every Thursday
Indoor
Training at Total Rehab
8:30 PM
you will need to bring a trainer and a towel

The London Bike Shop hosts a weekly indoor training program - contact them for more information:  
The Bike Shop, London, Kentucky
 


Saturday, March 3

Club ride
12 PM at the Vision Center


Saturday, March 3
KENTUCY/INDIANA ROAD SERIES RACE #1 – LOUISVILLE
Anyone wishing to go please contact JT or Jack E – we will need to leave Somerset by 7 AM And will return that night after the race – see race flyer under our race sched in our Blog  Those planning to race this weekend – this is a large race and there will be lots of riders there – of


Sunday March 4

CLUB RIDE
Time:  1:30 PM  @ The Vision Center
Type:  moderate
Distance:  what everybody wants to do after racing the day before

 

YMCA SPINNING CLASSES
845 AM – m-w-f
500 PM  - m- t-thrs
600 PM Fridays

 

SOMERSET ATHLETICS CLUB SPINNING CLASSES
7:15 PM:  m t th
6:15 PM  w

No comments: